Alexander Braunvieh Ranch has been a long time breeder of purebred cattle and a place where quality cattle were always the goal.
The original Alexander Farm was purchased in the Spring of 1959 by Clifton Alexander and his dad Ewell. They had both been in the corporate world and self employed in Dallas and felt their roots of East Texas calling them back into agriculture. They bought a small dairy farm with only 17 milking cows. Shortly after buying the farm, they bought 2 Brown Swiss commercial cows and fell in love with the Big Brown Cow. In 1962 the first registered Brown Swiss were bought in Wisconsin and that planted the seed to grow the Nation’s Largest Brown Swiss Farm. In 1976, Dwight, the oldest sibling of 3 joined the family operation. Over the years, the Alexanders’ bred Brown Swiss cattle that won many production and show champions and were sold through out the states and Mexico, Central and South America. In 1995 the Alexanders’ made the decision to disperse the dairy herd and retire from the dairy business. The desire to stay active and remain in the cattle business began the exploration to buy some Braunvieh cattle, since the love for the Big Brown Cow would never go away.
A decision was made to develop a program of using a Full Blood Braunvieh bull on a group of commercial black cows and Brown Swiss cows left from the dispersal.
The results were amazing! The offspring from the first crop of calves not only continue to influence the herd today, but stated the path to more Braunvieh purchases.
With time, full blood and purebred cows were added to the herd, as well as special selected show type females from various consignment sales that today continue to help build the herd.